Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Juliet Cap Veil DIY update #1

Hello there!

I wrote about my intention to try to make my own Juliet cap style veil last month.  Since then I've taken the first steps towards creating it.

First I took a measuring tape and measured across the top of the head from where I wanted the combs to sit on one side and across to the other.  This came to 12 cm for me.  Then I found the centre of the top of the front of the veil by folding it in half.  I marked the middle with a dress making pin.
I halved the measurement for the distance between the two combs which came to 6 cm and then I measured 6 cm from the middle of the front of the veil to the right and left of the front edge.  This was where I wanted the combs to be.

I then measured 20 cm perpendicular to the front edge of the veil at the these two points where I wanted to place the combs and made little stitches with white thread and a small needle from twenty centimetres out back towards the front edge of the veil.  I pulled this gently to make it gather.  I secured this by knotting the thread.  Then I sewed the gathers to the tulle I had wrapped around the top of the combs.  I decided to place the combs facing down and inwards to the centre of the head with the veil on top when sewing them to the veil.. This was so that they will be placed pointing upwards when placed on the head.

I haven't decided yet if I want to add a trim across the front.  I think it looks more modern with out one but it will look really pretty with one too.  At the moment I have a daisy chain style trim and a beaded sparkly one to try out but I think I will need to know what my dress will be like first.
I also might try to sew something to cover the combs, like a small piece of lace or a sparkly broach.
At the moment I also feel like the cap isn't quite as tight as I'd like so I might experiment with shortening the distance between the two combs and also possibly doing a slightly longer gather at each comb.  I have sewn it all quite loosely for now so it's quite easy to unpick and adjust.
I'm really pleased with it so far and this is definitely the veil style I like.  At the moment my veil is 3 metres long but I'm going to wait until later to decide what length to cut it to or whether or not to sew any think to the train.  Luckily the tulle fabric was quite cheap and I bought quite a lot of it so I feel comfortable experimenting with it.

I will let you know how I get on with this in the future.  Are you making your own veil?  Let me know if you have any tips!

Till next time

Twirlybirdie :)

You might like:
Juliet Cap Veil Update #2

5 comments:

  1. I'm going to be making one of these myself but haven't started yet. What shape is your tulle? Did you leave it in a rectangle or round the edges? I can't figure that part out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have just left it as a rectangle for now. I think I'll decide whether or not to round the corners on the train once I know what my dress will be like :)

      Delete
  2. Oh wow - that looks so pretty. I've been searching and searching for instructions on how to DIY a cap veil. Please can you let me know one thing - you said you had 3m of tulle, is that 3m x 3m or some other dimension? Good luck with the rest of your wedding planning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Hey! Sorry for my late reply to your lovely message. I have been busy working on a dance project for a while. My tulle was not 3 x3 metres it was about 3x1.6 metres. However if I could have found a wider tulle in the fabric store I probably would have bought it. I hope that Is helpful for you, all the best for your wedding planning too :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much for this post and comments.
    If anyone has found 3 x 3 m tulle please say where.
    Ta.

    ReplyDelete