Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Juliet Cap Veil DIY Update #2

Hello there!

So I think it's time for an update on how my veil DIY'ing has been going.  I've spent a long time pondering over my veil since I bought my dress.  The shade of the dress meant that the bright white tulle I'd bought didn't really match it.  The style of dress also affected the simple style of veil I was planning on making.  I did look at a few veils to buy, particularly vintage ones but the decorative vintage ones cost a fortune and newer ones are still pretty pricey so I decided to still have a go at making something to wear.  I also do really like the idea of having made something special I would wear on the day myself.
So where have I gotten so far?  I went to the fabric store and bought 3 metres of tulle in a creamier shade.  At 2.50 euros a metre this was no great expense so of course I got more than I might need just in case.  When I open out the fabric and lay it side by side with the white tulle I can't actually really see the difference in shade, it's when it's all bunched up together that it's noticeable.  Irrespective I feel better knowing that the tulle is in a better shade to match my dress.
Next I spent a really long time looking at different veils and trying to decide what I felt would work best with my dress.  When I say a really long time I mean months I've spent thinking about this.  I'm really indecisive and don't want to get it wrong and change my mind and have to do it all over again!  I had to decide how I wanted it gathered, where and how I wanted it pinned, what I wanted to stitch to the cap or the edging.  Finally I decided that I wanted to try to gather it by sewing loops either side of the cap quite low down the side of my head.  Originally I had gathered the material at the sides using a hand sewn gathering stitch and then stitched the gathered tulle on to two combs either side of the head.  This time I tried a different technique as I wanted to fabric to sit more sleekly on my head without much puffiness on either side.
I found the middle of the top end of the fabric by folding it in half and marked this place with a sewing pin perpendicular to the edge of the fabric.  Then I placed that on top of my head so that the sewing pin matched up with the centre of my head and pinched the fabric on the side where I wanted my veil to be pinned to my head.  I also marked this place with a sewing pin.  I measured the distance between the middle and side pin so that I would know where to sew the gathers on the other side.
wedding veil DIY
The pleats I made and then looped thread to around to secure.

 Then at the place where I wanted the veil to be pinned I folded pleats in the fabric, folding inwards first.  I made each pleat roughly 2.5 cm wide.  I folded five pleats and then sewed them together by making a loop two or three times around them with matching thread.  I repeated this process on the other side.  I have to admit that the first time around I wasn't happy with where the way the fabric had gathered on one of the sides as it seemed to be looser on one side than the other allowing fabric to be too loose on the top of one side of my head.  It was really easy to cut open the sewn loop and pleat the fabric slightly higher up and stitch it so that it pulled the fabric tighter to my head.

Wedding veil DIY
Here you can see the shape of the cap
I'm very happy now that I have the shaping of my veil figured out.  Next I'm planning on sewing two beaded appliqués I've chosen on to either side of the cap.  I have a feeling this is going to take some time and patience to get right so I'll get on it when I have a moment and fill you in.  I'm also trying to decide whether to sew the veil on to two combs like I did before or sew some ribbon loops that I can use to attach the veil to my hair with using kirby grips.  I have to admit I'm leaning more towards the ribbon loops than the combs at the moment as it seems less bulky particularly with the hairstyle I'm planning on having at the moment.
Juliet Cap Veil DIY
The beaded appliqués I'm planning to sew to the veil.  They are from John Lewis.
So that's the story of my veil so far!  I have to admit it is tricky to do.  It definitely takes more thought and time than I initially suspected, perhaps because I'm just trying to wing it using trial and error.  I'm really excited to see how it works out in the end though.  I'm glad I've got quite a bit of time to fuss over it until the wedding!  I'll keep you updated on my progress.

You can read my previous posts on my veil making adventure here and here.

Till next time

Twirlybirdie :)

4 comments:

  1. I would recommend using kirby grips - I used those on my veil (which I made using your tips and tricks!). I left it plain - no appliques - but that's just worked for my dress and the look I was going for. I used kirby grips by both my ears and a few shoved in at the top/back. I had a simple, loose hairstyle with a braid 'crown' so the kirby grips went into those. I didn't feel as though it was too loose or liable to slip off - even when the wind blew it straight up in the air!

    Best of luck with the final prep! Enjoy the big day, it's amazing, and I'm sure you'll have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Thanks for your tip about the kirby grips. I'm glad my ramblings were useful to someone out there :) Sounds like you had a lovely day. Mine's not until June so I still have some time to faff with it. Congratulations on your marriage! xx

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for this!
    I'm looking to make a juliet veil similar to yours. The only place I've been able to find any reasonable ones is Etsy but I'll like to make it myself.
    Did John Lewis have dark ivory or champagne bridal illusion tulle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, that's great that you're going to make one yourself! I didn't buy my bridal tulle from John Lewis just the appliques which they had in a few different tones of white. I found my tulle at a local fabric store. Best of luck with your veil :)

      Delete