Friday, November 21, 2014

Weekend Plans: Turning your home in to a retreat

Hello!

I often spend my weekends full of plans for projects and chores that I need to get done.  This rarely actually happens and I often end up feeling frustrated with myself that I spent more time lying around doing nothing than tackling my massive to do list.  I end up in a constant battle between what my body and mind want to do (nothing) and the things I wanted to achieve that weekend.  This makes weekends frustrating and stressful.
Equally though I often find myself dreaming of getting away for the weekend.  Going somewhere far away to spend a couple of days relaxing, doing nothing and coming back refreshed.  Eventually I realised it was stupid to berate myself for doing the exact thing I dream about doing for the weekend.  Sure so maybe I can't actually physically get away anywhere for the weekend, but the biggest appeal of going away is quite simply just having the opportunity to relax.  When you travel away for the weekend you're far removed from your home and you're unable to tackle any of your chores.
I thought that perhaps with a little mind reset I could get some of the benefits of a weekend away with out having the need to travel.  I decided to try my best to make my home in to a place where rest and relaxation were permitted.  Even if you can only afford to do this for one day at the weekend I think it could be beneficial.  Here are some of the things I did for my day off in my 'retreat' plus a few other ideas.

The evening before

  • If possible try to tidy or do any chores that really will distract you from being able to fully chill out all weekend.
  • If you don't already have some at home you might want to shop for any supplies you might need ie. tasty food/drink, candles, bath salts, face mask, new book or magazines to read etc. etc.
  • Try to get to bed at a decent time so you can enjoy as much of the day as possible.

Ideas for ways to enjoy your weekend retreat

  • Sleep in, just chill in bed as long as you want!
  • Take a long hot bath with your favourite products.  I added sea salt to mine and read a book.
  • If you don't have a bath enjoy a hot shower with your favourite products
  • Do the beauty things you always want to do but normally can't find the time. Paint your nails, do a face mask or a hair mask or even all three!
  • Lay on the sofa and read through magazines
  • Stretch or do some yoga
  • Play some relaxing music or if you prefer just enjoy the silence
  • Make yourself a healthy smoothie
  • Drink herbal tea
  • Go for a walk or to a nearby cafe for a coffee
  • Wear comfortable lounge wear
  • Cook something healthy and warming for dinner like a stew
  • Light candles
  • Watch a film


Just give yourself permission to do whatever the hell you enjoy with out feeling any guilt.  This rest time is important for your physical and mental health and the main goal is to feel refreshed afterwards.  Whatever it is that you fantasise about doing on a break try to recreate it as much as possible in your own home.
Maybe this is probably what a lot of people do on their weekend but for if you're like me and constantly feel like you need to be doing or achieving something perhaps this is a good way to look at taking some time off completely for yourself.

Have a relaxing weekend!

Till next time

Twirlybirdie





No comments:

Post a Comment